Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Makin' Stuff....

So, I'm pretty crafty by nature, but I can never find the time to do all the things I would like to do/make.
I envy those people who find the time to be a wife, mother, hold down a job, and still make all kinds of fun stuff. Every now and then I run across something that I just HAVE to make - and it means I drop everything, go to the store to get the supplies I need (if I don't already have them on hand) and start making it RIGHTAWAY..... Well, yesterday that happened.

I recently bought some of those plastic magnetic alphabet letters for Ava to play with on the fridge, but didn't want to give them to her because she is still at the stage of putting EVERYTHING in her mouth, and they pose as a choking hazard. Sooo, I put them away in the drawer. Then yesterday I ran across these:


Well I was intrigued, so I did  a bit more searching, and ended up on etsy and found these:


I LOVE these....what I didn't love, was the $50 price tag for the set....(that is with the shipping included)
I figured, I can make these on my own, and it will be a fraction of the price.... So off to Hobby Lobby I went to get a few things, and this was today's project....  I have only made it to "G" and I have been working on it all day....sigh.... (but in my defense, I do have a 16 month old...) 
Man, the things I do for her.....


I guess I will post the whole set when I finish!

3 comments:

  1. wow...I need details!!! What type of fabric? Did you use a specific pattern? How are you adhering the magnets to the back? Thanks..Wonderful so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nast - I used pre cut felt - I just bought all the colors they had at the craft store, then I went online to find a font I liked to use as my pattern. The one I am using is Hobo. I filled the center with poly fill, and stitched it using the blanket stitch. As far as the magnets, I am putting the magnets inside with the filling- I just though it looked neater, and I didn't want Ava to somehow pry the magnets off and swallow them... (she puts everything in her mouth) I am pleased with the way it is turning out....hopfeully I will be finished tomorrow and I will post the results...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an excellent idea...I do not know how many letters I had to get out of my baby's little mouth lol...

    ReplyDelete